Football officially began at the University of Wyoming on February 22, 1893 when the 11-man UW squad defeated Cheyenne High School 14 to nothing.
The university team won a total of nine victories before suffering their first defeat on October 15, 1898, against the Colorado School of Mines.
The southwestern corner of what is now Prexy's Pasture was the first football field.
When Merica Hall was built as the first women's dormitory in 1908, female fans had a bird's eye view of the field by sitting in the dorm windows.
The team had been nicknamed the Cowboys since 1891, but it became the official name in 1912. That year the familiar bucking horse emblem was also bestowed on the team.
Learn more history of UW football at UW's American Heritage Center.