Register Cliff served as a “register” for pioneers crossing the country on the Oregon Trail. The wall, which consists of soft sandstone, made it easy for emigrants to leave signatures advising later travelers that they had made it this far. The names carved on the wall go back as far as 1847 and remain visible today. Sandstone cliffs to the east and west of Register Cliff also contain many well-preserved emigrant signatures. The trail is visible a few yards below the cliff. The Town of Guernsey which sits close to Register Cliffs was incorporated much later in 1902 when the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad reached the area.
(Register Cliff is maintained by Wyoming State Parks. For more information, visit the Wyoming State Parks website.)