© 2024 Wyoming Public Media
800-729-5897 | 307-766-4240
Wyoming Public Media is a service of the University of Wyoming
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Transmission & Streaming Disruptions

200 Orr Hall residents were evacuated after a dorm room caught fire

Residential Hall located at University of Wyoming

Residents in Orr Hall Dormitory were evacuated after a room caught fire early Tuesday morning, Feb. 14. Of the 200 occupants who were displaced, 30 of them found shelter in the Shoshone room on the lower level of the Washakie Dining Center.

The University of Wyoming’s Chad Baldwin said, “they provided linens and mattresses.” Other residents were able to find shelter with friends, family, or in sorority or fraternity houses.

The cause of the fire was deemed an accident. Summarizing a Laramie Fire Department report, Chad Baldwin said, “they mentioned there was a pile of clothing and electrical cords, so their assessment was accidental.”

The fire was mostly contained to one room on the second floor. After carbon monoxide testing was done, the building was deemed safe. Residents returned to their rooms later on Tues. afternoon.

Nicole Dillon was born in Montana, raised in Sheridan, Wy, and currently resides in Laramie to attend the University of Wyoming. She is pursuing a concurrent degree in Communication and Journalism. After graduating this spring, Nicole hopes to teach English abroad before attending graduate school. She has written feature stories for the Sheridan Press in the past, and is eager to broaden her journalism and communication skills at WPM. In her spare time, she loves reading or doing yoga.
Related Content